In recognition of outstanding contributions to academic and research librarianship and to library development in general, PAARL confers several annual awards, namely:
• The Academic/Research Librarian of the Year Award, given to a librarian who has made an outstanding national contribution to academic or research librarianship and to library development. (The 2018 Board passed a resolution to limit the number of recipients from three (3) to one (1).
• The Professional Service Award, given to the immediate past president of the association in recognition of his/her exemplary service to the association.
• The Academic/Research Library of the Year Award, given in recognition of an academic or research library’s outstanding national contribution to the academic or research community with a cash award of P 5,000. This award was initiated in 2000 by then President Fe Angela M. Verzosa, and the first awardee was the International Rice Research Institute for the year 2001.
• The Outstanding Library Program of the Year Award, given to an academic or research library in recognition of its outstanding library program that contributes to Philippine academic librarianship and library development in the Philippines. The library program must have a strong impact on the library community, be innovative, sustainable, and may be replicated in other library communities, or institutions. This award was initiated by Ms. Fe Angela M. Verzosa, as Chair of the Scholarship and Awards Committee for 2001, and the first awardee was Filipinas Heritage Library for its LibraryLink project for the year 2002.
• The Lifetime Achievement Award, the highest recognition given to an academic/research librarian as a hallmark of professional excellence as a lifetime achiever. This was likewise initiated by then Chair of the Awards Committee, Ms. Verzosa, and the first award was posthumously granted to the founding President, Ms. Marina G. Dayrit for the year 2002, who died in December of the same year.
• The Best Research Award, given to recognize and reward academic/research librarians who undertake quality researches that are considered of significant potential impact and relevance in the field of evidence-based Philippine Librarianship, that will serve as the springboard for further research. This award was initiated by the 2014 President Sharon Ma. Esposo-Betan with a cash award of P10,000, and the awardees for the year were co-authors Dr. Briccio M. Merced, Jr. and Ms. Rhea M. Canang for their research paper entitled “Determining the Factors Affecting the Passing rate in the Board Examination for Librarians Using a Web-Based Instrument.”
• The Innovative Library Design Award is given to encourage libraries who are constructing or renovating their libraries to introduce new concepts and integrate state-of-the-art designs which successfully combine exciting architectural expression, inspiring internal spaces and good functionality. The award offers an opportunity to recognize excellence in library design (for new buildings, renovations, extensions, and refurbishments) to demonstrate the impact of such innovative library design on learning, teaching and research. A plaque of recognition and cash gift amounting to Php10,000.00 is given to the Institution to be awarded during the annual General Assembly.
Today, despite its struggles and challenges, PAARL’s presence in the library community of professionals is in an enviable position. As one of the largest nationwide organization of professional librarians, it continues to impact on its commitment to update our librarian’s knowledge and skills, and to advocate and promote the cause of Philippine librarianship.